Submissions are processed in a timely manner but they still take time. In the interest of serving you better, an explanation of the various steps a submission must go through follows.
- The Submissions Forms are available at https://heraldry.gleannabhann.net/2017/07/20/submissions-forms/
- Submissions are processed as received and collected together once a month in an Internal Letter of Intent (iLoI) by Moonestone Herald. The iLoI is posted to the Gleann Abhann Garden on the Online System for Commentary and Response (OSCAR). Commentators are given one month to comment on this iLoI (i.e. – the comments on a March 5th ILoI must be posted to OSCAR by April 5th).
- Within the month after the deadline, Ruby and Moonestone reviews the comments and the submissions and decides which ones will be sent forward and which will be returned at the Kingdom level. The decisions are emailed out by Sardonyx Herald via OSCAR.
- The letters notify the submitters and explains the reasons for the return at Kingdom (if applicable). Submissions that are to be sent forward to Laurel Sovereign of Arms (Laurel, the Society Herald) are placed on the Kingdom’s monthly Kingdom Letter of Intent (KLoI) and posted on OSCAR.
- Laurel allows two whole months for commentary before the KLoI will be considered for decisions (i.e. – a KLoI sent out anytime in April will be in commentary until the end of June and be considered at the July Laurel Meeting). Decisions of Laurel Meetings are made available to members of the Laurel College and Kingdom Principal Heralds within a few weeks of the meeting in the form of a Letter of Acceptances and Returns (http://heraldry.sca.org/loar). These letters are archived on the Laurel website and anyone can subscribe to receive them electronically in any of a variety of formats.
- When the LoAR is published, the Gleann Abhann decisions will be unofficially published either via the Kingdom Facebook page or The Ambassador. Due to the lead time required by The Ambassador, however, it may often take two or more months from the release of the LoAR before the notification is made in print.
- The Sardonyx Herald makes official notification to the client directly explaining the reasons for the return (if applicable) or congratulating them on the successful registration.
Here is an example of the process:
- The submission received by Moonestone anytime in January.
Moonestone places the submission on the February ILoI after the 1st of the month.
- Comments are due one month later, sometime after the 1st of March.
- Ruby publishes the returns and KLoI within a month, trying for the same month the ILoI closed commentary, so before the end of March.
- Sardonyx sends notification of return decisions. Comments due by end of May on OSCAR. Laurel staff makes decisions in June.
- June LoAR is written, proof read, and published. This usually takes two months.
- Results published by Laurel via listserv and by Sardonyx on Facebook and/or The Ambassador. Sardonyx sends notification of Laurel decision.
A submission should go through the system in 6 to 9 months from iLoI to Laurel decision with the decision letter published soon after. There will occasionally be delays along the way, especially if you submit during Gulf Wars, but the process should take no more than a year from submission being received to the results being available.
Note that notifications take time to generate and if your email or postal addresses have changed they may have difficulty finding you. Watching the LoAR archive (http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/) or subscribing to receive LoARs electronically (http://heraldry.sca.org/lists.html) is the fastest way to discover when your submission is decided on by Laurel.